The Good Government Club of Western New York is a regional organization of Italian- American professionals founded in 1975 by Vincent J Mule’, Carmen Vitale, Domenic Lovallo, Sam Redino and Joseph Passafiume.
The founders of the organization shared a proud heritage and wanted a new way to express their pride and sense of community. The founding members believed that the community needed an organization free of restrictions that prevented political endorsements.
Under the Good Government Club banner, meetings were convened throughout the region and membership increased providing a networking opportunity for the Italian- American community.
The Good Government Club’s first major accomplishment was the election of Mario Cuomo as Governor. The organization endorsed Mario Cuomo before the 1982 primary election and hosted a regional dinner attended by 1,000 Western New Yorkers. After the election of Mario Cuomo membership increased significantly and included representatives from almost all of the towns in Erie County.
The organization annually hosts a St Joseph’s Day dinner preserving the Italian culture, and honoring Italian-Americans who have distinguished themselves in public service.
Proceeds from the St Joseph’s Day dinner are used to support candidates for public office who are committed to serving their community, in the best interests of their community, without regard to political affiliation.
The most recent recipients of the Good Government Club’s Outstanding Achievement Awards are:
- New York State Senator, Patrick Gallivan
- Erie County District Attorney, Frank Sedita III
- New York State Comptroller, Tom DiNapoli
- New York State Senate Majority Leader, Joseph Bruno
- Buffalo Police Officers, Carl Andolina and Patricia Parete
- New York Attorney General, Andrew Cuomo
- New York State Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, David Swarts
- Buffalo City Comptroller, Andrew Sanfilippo
- City Council Members, Marc Copolla, Dominic Bonafacio and Richard Fontana
- Italian-American Police of Western New York
- Erie County Comptroller, Nancy Naples
- Buffalo Mayor, Tony Masiello
- Erie County Executive, Joel Giambra
- NYS Senator Mark Grisanti
- Buffalo City Comptroller Mark J. F. Schroeder
Throughout its 38 years, the Good Government Club has been instrumental in the appointment and election of highly qualified members of the Italian-American community. Numerous members of the regional judiciary, along with the chief executive officers of the State of New York, County of Erie, City of Buffalo and other regional jurisdictions, have benefited from the support provided by the Good Government Club.